Hot English Muffins just oozing with butter that just melts in your mouth. Who needs chocolate for valentines day when you can steam up the kitchen with these babies!
This year I made myself one of those 101 things to do in 2013 lists. I feel like the list keeps me a bit focused and gives me some minor goals to achieve, as opposed to a big as new years resolution which I would probably not keep. I’ll type it up later, but one of the things on my list was to bake 5 new things. I love baking as a way of relaxing but I always make the same types of thing (my mocha chocolate muffins have been perfected), I also wanted to bake something with yeast because I never have and for some weird reason it intimidates me. I just keep expecting yeast to not rise properly and them I am left feeling like a fool. So today I baked with yeast, and it was a success, I now feel like sexy master of the kitchen Nigella Lawson.
These are super easy. They do take a lot of time however, mostly waiting for the yeast to do its thing, so I recommend making them on a weekend or when you have a spare 3 hours.
Super Sexy English Muffins
3/4 cup of milk
3/4 cup of water
1 tsp sugar
3 tsp yeast
4 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
2 TB melted butter
1 egg, beaten
– Heat the milk so it is warm, not boiling just warm to touch. Dissolve the sugar into the milk and add the water, give it a good wee mix. Sprinkle the yeast over the top but don’t mix it in. Now for the first test, cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes. It should rise and go all foamy
– Time to get down and dirty! Sift the flour and add the butter, egg and yeast mixture. Give it a good stir. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Stick your chest out and go to town on that dough just like Nigella would. It is also a good wee workout.
– Run some hot water through a bowl to warm it up and place the dough inside. It will look all sad like this…
– It worked!
– Knead the dough for a minute and then roll out, now you can cut out the muffins. I just used a cup to make a circle shape but next time I think I will get creative.
– And now you get to wait again! Place the muffs in a warm space for 30 minutes – they will puff up a little more.
– Check out my soft sexy muffs! Heat a frying pan and melt some butter. The muffins are cooked this way but very very slowly. I used a low heat and fried each one for about 5 minutes per side. Then you can cut them open, melt some almond butter and get it going!
Hope you had a happy valentines day!