It is never too early to start Christmas cookie baking.
It is especially never too early to turn up the Christmas tunes so you can sing and dance while making delicious cookies.
And if you do feel the need to indulge in the spirit, then these are the cookies you should bake.
Perfectly soft, melt-in-your-mouth pillow with a surprise chewy caramel on top, these babies are irresistible. Make them with the intention to share, but don’t be surprised if they don’t make it through the night.
– 2/3 cups of softened butter or vegan replacement spread.
– 1/2 cup of sugar
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– pinch of salt
– 1 egg
– 1tsp of vanilla
– 1 and 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
– 20 small pieces of caramel. I bought a few caramels and just cut them into smaller pieces.
– Beat butter until soft, add sugar cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
– Beat in egg and vanilla until just combined.
– Mix in flour slowly. You should be able to tell when it is at a good cookie consistency, add a little more flour if needed to refrigerate for an hour to firm up if needed.
– Roll into balls and press a piece of caramel into the center.
– Bake at 180degrees for around 7 minutes or until the edges are firm. These will be soft so let them sit for a minute or two before taking them off the baking tray.
Yum! They are particularly tasty paired with a mug of hot chocolate.
If you do want to veganise them you can sub the egg for 1/2 a mashed banana or 1/4cup of vegan yoghurt, and the butter for 1/3 cup of oil. Just note that the banana will change the taste a little.