Being a vegetarian I am always looking for a way to eat tofu besides tossing it in a stir fry, luckily it is a food which is totally versatile and goes with just about anything. These burgers are really easy and yummy, but also hold up better then other vegetarian patties I have made. They don’t fall apart and can be used as burgers, in tortilla, mixed in through a salad or just eaten on their own. Seriously they are amazing!
– 1 block of firm tofu
– 1/4 cup chipped onion
– 1/2 cup of veggies of choice. You can use grated carrot, chopped broccoli, spinach, cabbage or canned corn. Really just whatever you have in your pantry.
– 1 1/2 TB soy sauce
– 1 tsp chili powder
– 1/2 tsp cumin
– salt and pepper to season
– 2/3 cup of flour
– Drain the tofu and place in a bowl before scrambling with a fork.
– Mix through the vegetables and seasonings
– Add the flour to form a patty. You don’t need to over do it here, the mixture will still be wet and you may question if they are going to hold up but trust me they will be fine.
– Heat a frying pan with a little oil and cook the patties for a few minutes on each side. Just until golden brown.
This recipe is great because they last a few days and you can basically use whatever vegetables are about to go bad in your fridge. I like to make them on a Sunday, have them for dinner one night and chop one up to bulk up the salad I take to work.
Side note. I know tofu is starting to get a bad rep because of the estrogen and hormones in it. While this may be somewhat true I do think that there is very little evidence for it and that the benefits of it are outweighing this small argument. I say this as someone living in Asia where it has been a staple of the countries diet for years and the people eating it have only begun to see problems like breast cancer crop up in the past 20 years or so (around the time Western fast food made an appearance). At the end of the day, tofu is a fantastic source of protein and is very low in cholesterol and fat. It is a great part of any diet, particularly a vegetarians. If you are worried, but organic! This wont have the hormones and yucky things like that. You could also limit the amount you do eat, but make sure you are getting enough protein and never forgo the tofu for something that wont do your body any good like fries or cheesy dishes.