Excuse my absence for the past week. I wish I had an exciting reason as to why I didn’t blog, but to be honest I couldn’t think of anything interesting to say. Bad blogger!
Anyway this week I got my butt into gear and joined zumba. Mostly as a way to meet people, but also for some exercise. I cannot believe how much I love it! I had tried Zumba before but didn’t go for long as it didn’t seem that fun. The one in Daegu is run by a foreigner who has crazy energy and just turns the hour into a big dance party. I love it and have met a few people so snaps for me.
I had a birthday on Wednesday. Not the one above, this was for the girl who had a birthday at work on Friday (although I would totally love to have a party like this). It was okay, birthdays just seem ‘eh’ to me, I guess I just don’t like that much attention on myself. But a care package from home arrived the day before and it contained marmite, so I got to have marmite on toast for my birthday which pretty much made my day. I love marmite with such a passion. I went for a run on my birthday, like a crazy person, and it gave me time to reflect and be all sentimental. I thought about last year when I turned 23 and was in China. I was so unhappy and lonely there, I felt like this big awkward stranger in a weird country. This year I am running (something I couldn’t do last year), have an awesome job and live in a fantastic country that I feel like is my home. 24 seems pretty good so far!
Food wise I have been losing weight which is good I suppose, although it is a result of getting used to the Korean diet. Cutting down on rice and adding more vegetables and protein has been really good at keeping my energy up at work. But in the evenings I don’t snack as much as I used to and have zero desire to eat much. I guess that is something I should be happy about? it just feels weird. I made another iherb order on Wednesday, full of almond butter and protein powder so I am hoping that will help build some muscle and keep my a bit healthier.
And now a recipe. I made this sweet potato gnocchi the other day and it blew my mind. So simple to make, I mess up recipes a lot but this one turned out perfect! Plus it looks really fancy and will impress people 😀 If you omit the parmesan cheese before serving then it can be made vegan. Enjoy!
3 large sweet potatoes
1 bunch of spinach
1 cup of flour
parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.
– Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave. Peel off the skin when they are done, I felt bad doing this as the skin has all the nutrient goodness so I ended up eating some of it and saving the rest to make baked skins another time.
– Chop the spinach and blanch it in about an inch of water until it is tender. Drain the water and wait for the spinach to cool, then squeeze out all of the water to turn in into a ball. Again the nutrients are probably disappearing, I suppose you could save it and add it to a smoothie when its cool but I don’t have a blender.
– Mash the sweet potato, when it is done add the spinach and give it a stir.
– Slowly begin to add the flour until a dough is formed. Knead for two minutes until the dough no longer sticks to the board.
– Roll out into snake like shapes about 1 inch thick and cut into the pretty gnocchi shapes. Before cooking them all I tested one by throwing it into the pan of boiling water and waiting to see if it would rise. If the gnocchi falls apart then you need to add more flour, but all things going to plan the gnocchi will rise to the top and you can take it out and marvel at how amazing you are.
– When they are all done I fried the gnocchi in bit of butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. You can also serve with some pasta sauce, but these babies are delicious on their own 😀